Theater Security Cooperation
Each year SETAF-AF manages TSC events to increase global response and interoperability with U.S. allies and partners. This is primarily accomplished through combined training and TSC engagements with allies and partners, in order to demonstrate our shared commitment to maintaining a safe and secure continent.
Theater Security Cooperation (TSC)
- Each year SETAF-AF manages TSC events to increase global response and interoperability with U.S. allies and partners. This is primarily accomplished through combined training and TSC engagements with allies and partners, in order to demonstrate our shared commitment to maintaining a safe and secure continent.
- TSC refers to those activities conducted with allies and partners, in accordance with the Secretary of Defense guidance, to:
- Build relationships that promote specified U.S. interests
- Build allied and friendly capabilities for self-defense and coalition operations
- Provide U.S. forces with peacetime and contingency access.
- SETAF-AF TSC branch plans and enables theater security cooperation activities that are regionally focused and support ambassador-integrated country team strategies with the goal of achieving long-term stability, reinforce long-term security stability efforts and enhance Army readiness in Africa.
Security Force Assistance Brigades (SFAB)
- In 2021, the Department of Defense aligned 2nd SFAB to the AFRICOM area of responsibility. This alignment is an effort to promote enduring regional stability and enable its partners throughout the African continent to lead in their response to threats and build toward establishing and maintaining long-term foundational security.
- The 2nd SFAB is comprised of professional combat advisers who are specially selected, trained, and equipped. When called upon, the unit deploys in support of a combatant commander to integrate with foreign security forces. The 2nd SFAB advises, assists, liaises, and supports security partners to build their capacity and ability to achieve regional security in support of U.S. national interests. The brigade represents the ultimate commitment by our nation to our foreign security partners and is dedicated to making our partners better in order to achieve regional stability.
- The SFAB is a strategic game changer for the United States in Africa. The SFAB provides hand-selected advisors capable of establishing an enduring presence in key countries and operating in any environment—enabling them to develop enduring relationships—from tactical to the strategic levels. Simply put, the SFAB provides the United States with a capability no adversary can match.
- The SFAB advises across multiple military specialties from the small unit to the ministerial level. The key to making the SFAB effective is consistency—with habitual alignment of 2nd SFAB to AFRICOM, consistent funding, and the necessary authorities, the SFAB can provide the United States with a capability no adversary can match.
- The SFAB provides professional, experienced advisors to support host nation military across any specialty and is committed to living and training side-by-side with host nation Armies. The SFAB can partner at the small-unit level training or support professional institutions. It can provide technical support for new equipment—or general advising on training and doctrine. The presence of the SFAB is a tangible demonstration of the United States’ commitment to enduring partnership throughout the region